Catapult Solutions Group is currently qualifying candidates for a Sr Exterior Design Engineer opportunity with one of the nation's leading automotive manufacturers. This is a contract opportunity that has potential to be permanent. The Sr Exterior Design Engineer position is on-site and located outside of Detroit, MI. The Sr Exterior Design Engineer will be the product design release Engineer for Exterior Trim systems including Front Fascia & Rear Bumper, Badges, Grilles, Charge Port Door System, Seals, and Wheel Liners.
- Conceptualize, design, engineer, release, develop, and launch exterior systems components; develop and execute system requirements.
- Work with Design team in setting design direction and leading development of Exterior Systems.
- Develop targets for investment (engineering and tooling) and parts costs and functional specifications.
- Assure all supplier formability, manufacturing readiness, assembly processing and countermeasure plans are included early in the engineering development phase.
- Track Body Exteriors Open Issues and lead open issue meetings as required.
- Develop, track and update vehicle level specifications for Exterior such as gaps, flush and parallelism.
- Plan for parts timing alignment with overall program timing plan and mitigation strategies as appropriate.
- CAD Experience (CATIA V5 and Teamcenter PLM Integration).
- Validation and testing experience (DVP&R/DFMEA).
- Create tradeoff proposals for Studio and Engineering. Suggest low-cost material alternatives.
- Willingness to travel to supplier, support in plant trials and assembly plant during launch.
- Coordinate/develop criteria sections with integrated safety counter-measure features included.
- Track Exteriors Open Issues via FA issue tracking process.
- Drive communication/closure of issues.
- Improve exterior quality, cost, and manufacturability.
- Communicate issues to studio and suppliers.
- Report & escalate major issues immediately to Exterior Engineering Supervisor.
- Assure Budget, Timing, Weight and Quality intent is achieved.
- Represent immediate Exterior Supervisor/Manager as required.
- 8+ Years: Exterior Design Release Engineering experience.
- 8+ Plus Years: Component Design/Engineering/Releasing Development.
- Engineering Bachelor’s degree required.
- Passion for cutting edge product design in a fast-paced environment.
- Familiarity with autoclave process, molding processes, Steel and Aluminum forming.
- CATIA V5 Cursory Experience Required, Expert Knowledge Preferred.
- Problem solving experience where issues are unusual and difficult.
- Previous OEM and automotive experience preferred.
- Previous assembly plant launch experience preferred.
- Dimensional Management and understanding of GD&T required.
- Experience Benchmarking engineering technologies and applying those into the design activities as appropriate.
- Experience in developing (Typical Sections) required.
- Experience with Class A surface development a plus.
- Experience with regulatory requirements preferred.
- High level of oral and written communication skills.
- Demonstrated technical and professional skills with the following: injection molded components, composites, blow molded components, extrusions, metal stampings, or metallic subassemblies.